Court of Protection Contact Details

Court of Protection Contact Details.

The Court of Protection address: The Royal Courts of Justice, Thomas More Building, Strand, London WC2A 2LL

Court of Protection phone number 0300 456 4600   

Out of hours telephone: 020 7947 6000.

Court of Protection Contact Details and Function.

The Court of Protection helps people who have difficulty making their own decisions. They do this by making the decisions for the person or appointing someone else to do so. Find out how the Court of Protection works to protect vulnerable people.

Before you do, we recommend that you make Lasting Powers of Attorney, so that you can avoid the need for Court of Protection contact details!

The Court of Protection is a specialist court for all issues relating to people who lack capacity to make specific decisions. The Court makes decisions and appoints deputies to make decisions in the best interests of those who lack capacity to do so.

Information on the work of the Court of Protection including:

  • Its powers
  • Fees
  • Making applications
  • Appointing deputies
  • Reaching a decision

What the Court of Protection does.

The Court of Protection makes decisions for people who are unable to do so for themselves. It can also appoint someone (called a deputy) to act for people who are unable to make their own decisions. These decisions are for issues involving the person’s property, financial affairs, health and personal welfare.

The Court of Protection can:

  • decide whether a person is able (‘has capacity’) to make a particular decision for themselves
  • make decisions on financial or welfare matters on behalf of people who are unable to do so
  • appoint a deputy to act for someone who is unable to make their own decisions
  • remove deputies or attorneys who fail to carry out their duties
  • decide whether a Lasting or Enduring Power of Attorney is valid
  • hear cases concerning objections to the registration a Lasting Power of Attorney or Enduring Power of Attorney

The Court of Protection Charter tells you what kind of treatment you can expect if you have to make decisions for someone else. You can contact the Court of Protection for details of how to complain if you are not happy with the level of service you receive.

Court of Protection Contact Details